While you can lodge an application for international protection before the Bulgarian authorities on your own, the procedure for examining the application is rather complicated; this is why you need an adult to assist you during the procedure and sign, together with you, all the documents given to you by the Bulgarian authorities.

The Bulgarian law, however, allows that, if your parents are not with you in Bulgaria, other relatives of yours sign instead of them – for example: a grandmother, a grandfather, an aunt, an uncle, as well as an adult brother or sister (if aged over 18).

In this case, if you sign a declaration giving your consent to this, the Bulgarian authorities will designate that relative as your accompanying person in the course of your procedure in Bulgaria.