Could another person, other than my parents, be the person accompanying me?

Audio file

Even though you can lodge by yourself an application for asylum before the Bulgarian authorities, the procedures for examining the application are complicated; this is why you need an adult person to help you during this procedure and to sign together with you all the documents you are given by the Bulgarian authorities.

If your parents are not with you in Bulgaria, but you are with other relatives of yours – for example: grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, as well as an elder brother or sister (if they are aged above 18) – the law allows that they sign instead of you or together with you in all the procedures and on all the documents from the Bulgarian authorities.

In this case, if you sign a declaration of consent the Bulgarian authorities may designate such a relative as the person accompanying you for the duration of your asylum procedure in Bulgaria.