Who is the person called my “representative”?

Audio file

If you are in Bulgaria without your parents or without other relatives who can accompany you, the authorities must appoint a special officer who will be in charge of the correct conduct of your asylum procedure and will take care of your rights. This person is called a “representative”.

The representative can be a man or a woman, and is selected by the municipality where the refugee camp in which you are accommodated in located.

The Bulgarian authorities, in particular the Agency for Refugees and your interviewer, are obliged to arrange for you a meeting with the person who has been appointed as your representative and ensure an interpreter so that you can communicate freely.

The representative is obliged to attend, together with you, all the interviews before the Agency for Refugees, and to be present when you are given a document to sign.

You have the right to request that the interviewer arranges a meeting with your representative whenever you have questions or problems.